Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, March 9, 2012

Sewn Felt Slippers

I came across this Martha Stewart how-to for some sewn felt slippers.  I've been on serious lookout for new slippers lately which has been surprisingly difficult.  All the lady slippers available for purchase look like either your grandma wears them in her bathroom or your little sister wears them as her feet are dangling from her chair while she eats breakfast at the kitchen table.  Most of them are thong slippers or open toe which makes no sense to me since the primary reason I wear slippers is to keep my ice toes thawed.  They are also usually made out of fabric that should be used for an infant's teddy bear.  For these reasons I have to resort to mens slippers which are fantastic foot huggers perfect for gliding from sewing machine to sewing machine all day but come in hideous colors (apparently any color besides black, navy, and taupe falls off the end of the Earth when it comes to mens footwear).

The original tutorial calls for an 18 x 18 3mm piece of wool which gives you a pair of monochrome slippers.  I'm more of a two tone kind of gal and don't like to follow directions verbatim so I modified the pattern, what else is new.  You can see a more informative video here since the instructions on the link above aren't super clear.


Above is the original pattern which with the fold in the pattern gives you the top and bottom sides.


I cut it in half and added a tiny 1/8" hand sewing seam allowance and widened the opening for the foot.


I cut the top half out of gold felt and the bottom half out of grey felt.  If you decide on taking up the 2 tone slipper challenge remember to put a darker color on the bottom since it will get dirty.


Then the sewing begins.  The drawback to doing a 2 tone slipper is that you have to sew the entire way around the slipper instead of just halfway (because it's on the fold) but at the end you have a way cooler slipper.  You decide.


Now that my finger is a bruised pincushion from hand sewing around the edge with embroidery thread (I really need to learn how to use a thimble) it's time to move onto the next step.


I matched up and sewed the back edges of the slipper.  After that I tucked in and sewed the heel flap of the slipper and then turned the whole thing inside out.


Then it looked something like this (starting to look like a slipper now).  I rounded the edge of the flat with scissors and stitched it to the heel.


Heel stitching in progress


To secure the flaps I did a dotted line stitch all the way around the cuff instead of sewing the bottom edge to the shoe.  It looks more awesome since I used such a think contrasting thread and also by doing it this way I'm not covering up my other lovely stitching.


Ta-da!!  It's finished! Side view: isn't it way better with 2 colors?


 Top view


Foot view: please ignore the terrible sock mark.  I never claimed to be a foot model.
Now all I have to do is make the other shoe...

13 comments:

  1. LOVE it way better in two colors. Opens up new horizons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're fabulous... Thanks so much!
    I'll be popping out shortly for some felt for my own slippers.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the pics! I've been over at Martha Stuart trying to figure out how on earth to put the heel together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your revisions - my main concern is the slippery sole on hardwood and tile floors - maybe use non slip fabric for the sole? any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Daisy, I bought some non slip fabric with an adhesive backing that you can just cut out as the shape of the bottom of the slipper and stick on for instant grip! Even non adhesive non slip fabric would be easy to apply with double sided fusible on a very low setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this! I'm glad your page was linked on the MS page. This is easier to follow AND i am digging the two tone. I plan to make these for some kid friends of mine. Thinking about embellishing the top with starts and what not. If I do it, I'll post pix.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, and thanks for linking up in Martha's version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if you thought it would work on a much smaller scale? I wanted to make one that was only about an inch long, and make it into a key chain for a friend who is a ballet dancer. Do you think that would work? would you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kevin,

    I think it would definitely work. It might be easier if you try using thinner craft felt since this felt is very thick and hard to work with, on a smaller scale it would be even trickier. Since it's such a small scale you're working on it would be easy to do a test one and see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the changes that you made to the side-seam moccasin/slipper! Simple ways of making footwear is my passion, so I wrote a tutorial on how to transform this moccasin/slipper into a boot. Here's the url:
    http://simpleshoemaking.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/new-page-tutorial-how-to-make-the-side-seam-moccasin-boot/
    I hope you find it of interest, I appreciate any feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your link to the video is not working...would I have to sign-in? Thank you, looking forward to making these for my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete